What is a microbiome?
What is Metagenomics
study of microbial communities directly in their natural environments, including
- skin, mouth, and gut samples to understand human related diseases,
- soil samples to study plant soil-microbe interactions, and
- marine water samples
- metagenomics does not require isolation and culturing of individual microbes: 'culture independent'
- focus on microbial communities: a sample can contain more than 10,000 species
- the complete set of microbes that live in a particular microbial ecosystem: within and on the human body (human microbiome), specific plants (grapevine microbiome), or marine areas
- includes also the entire collection of microbial genes provided by these microbial communities